Monday 24th June, what a day!
Italians and people of Cortina went almost crazy with joy when IOC committe announced Milan and Cortina will be hosting the Winter Olympic Games in 2026.
The partnership between the two Italian cities, Milan in the middle of the Padana plain and Cortina in the Alps, won over the Swedish competitor and brought the Olympic Games back to Cortina, after 70 years.
Cortina d'Ampezzo will have a pre- Olympics test in less than 2 years.
The city will also be hosting the Alpine World Ski Championship next February, 2021.
Two big events, huge crowds joining the town in the Dolomites and a lot of preparation.
Let's discover a few more about these two big sports events in Cortina d'Ampezzo.
The Alpine World Ski Championship
The countdown to the World Ski Championship has already started
Less than 600 days to Monday, 8th 2021 when Cortina will welcome the Alpine World Ski championships 2021 .
Athletes arriving from more tha 70 countries worldwide will reach Cortina and compete on its pistes.
A huge novelty: the FIS Council has added parallel ski to the competition for the first time in its history.
An introduction to the event in numbers:
- 14 days
- 70 nations worldwide
- 600 athletes
- 6.000 persons attending te event as staff, technical memebers, coaches, etc
- 120.000 reacing Cortina d'Ampezzo to assist to the World Ski Championship
- 500.000.000 people watcning the championships via web, TV and other platforms
Do you want to know all about the disciplines and the pistes of the Alpine World Ski Championships 2021 in Cortina ?
Check every detail at Cortina2021
The 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics
The XXV Winter Olympics will be held in Milano and Cortina in 2026.
Skating and ice hockey competitions will be host in Milan and most of alpine ski sports will be host in Cortina and in a number of alpine venues in Valtellina and in Val di Fiemme.
The 3 leading values of the joint candidature of Milan and Cortina for the Winter Olympic Games 2026 are:
- Sustainability – along with the IOC agenda, the Olympic Games 2026 will put sustainability at the core of every action
- Future – the Olympic Games will be the starter or a development and consolidation process in the entire alpine and sub alpine area
- Legacy – the games have always been an event inspiring people to do their best, to exercise, take care of their health and work together to reach their goals. That's their legacy and it will be also the legacy of the Winter Games 2026 in Milan-Cortina
At Ambra Cortina we lok forward to welcoming you all over the next winter sesons and even in summer time!
We have already started with a soft restyling of the rooms that you can see at FB and at IG, but stay tuned.
The road to 2021 and 2026 is still long and full of surprise